Monday, June 23, 2008

Takin' a ride...on the potty train


Finally! Leah celebrated her third birthday on Father's day. It was not only a milestone, but a deadline of sorts. I have been trying to potty train her for a year. We decided that it was time to draw the line...no more sippy cups, no more diapers, no more...baby. So Leah got her choice of underwear and we got serious. I won't say that it is perfect, but we are almost there. Like so many other moments in motherhood, this one is bittersweet too. It means I am officially out of the baby business. According to Leah, "I'm not a baby. I drink big girl cups, I pee the potty, I brush my teeth, that I can do." Yes you can, baby, yes you can. "I'm not a baby."

It's so true. What do I do now that the years of being completely devoted to my babies are over? I guess now I have to turn some minute part of my focus back to myself. I am forced to stop rocking back and forth even when I'm not holding a child. I will have to relax when I hear a baby cry, because more than likely, its not going to be my own. I am now willing to pick up any baby, whether I really know their parents or not. It's scary but still so exciting. Happy Birthday Leah!

1 comment:

Connie said...

I am trying to potty train Jared and have been for months. He is so stubborn about it. When I try to put him on the toilet he just goes all limp noodle and floppy and won't sit there. He'll let himself just fall off the toilet. It drives me crazy. Any suggestions oh learned one? Congrats on being done with the baby phase. I am looking forward to the day. Is Leah 2 or 3?