Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Isn't it normal?

The school year is drawing to a close. I am so excited to have the kids home with me again. I love to have a little bit of influence over their lives and steal them away from the so-called educational system for a few short months. I hate running here and there and being bound by some schedule. I always laugh when someone tells me that they can't stand summer and the fact that they don't have the school to babysit their kids for 7 hours a day.

I look at Aaron as he changes and is making that dreaded transition into teenage-hood. There are still little glimpses of the sweet little boy that I used to cradle and sing to, but not many. Now I am lucky if he doesn't glare at me over the course of the day. At least he still thinks I'm smart. I know that won't last long either.

I love that we got to sit through Josh's championship game last night, and hate that he had to lose. It broke my heart to see those boys cry on their dad's shoulders, but I was happy to hold Josh's head against my chest again and soak up his tears. I'm so grateful he still wants to. ( And the dance in the outfield is over till the fall).

I'm sure it makes for dry reading when I don't have any funny stories to tell, but I'm glad that life has been "normal" and "boring". And isn't it normal to sit down and kill zombies with the boys sometimes?

I am dreading Anna starting school this coming fall. She is so entertaining. The kids have been introduced to a lot of different music- I am a music addict. The journey song "Don't stop believing" has a line that goes "I smell wine and cheap perfume". Anna and Leah were singing it in the car the other day and I realized they were saying "Snow White and sheep perfume". Fantastic! You can't buy that kind of entertainment.

I'm such a dork. It sounds so cheesy to be gushing over my kids. I just love that this is my favorite place to be. Having family movie night in our family room, in our own theater, eating popcorn and everyone laying all over each other laughing and happy. Then sitting up late with my best friend in this world, laughing and talking, just being grateful for this life I've been blessed with. Isn't it normal?

3 comments:

Catherine said...

I wan't to get my kids over there so I can expose them to a different normal. I want my boys to be exposed to cousin boys and boy stuff (no teaching how to glare at mom, please) and I can't wait for my little girl to be taken care of by other little girls. I can't wait! And I can't wait to see my sister. I miss you!

Missy said...

ya know, that is exactly why I want a big family and why I admire you and your family. I remember those times with my own family - all sitting around, doing something we love, and having a blast together. There's few people out there who enjoy the summers with their kids and aren't waiting to push em out the door. Yay for you! ;)

Judy said...

i think will be the opposite in hoping to put my gang on a schedule to reduce chaos at home looking forward to no more running here and there homework up early for the bus coming home with some disease that is going around school no more making lunches laren will have to come over a few times to have some girl time playing star wars and cowboys and cars is getting a little old for her
always admired you for enjoying having them all home