Thursday, April 3, 2008

I said no!

I need the biggest "No Soliciting" sign I can find. If I have to paint it on the garage door, so be it. I just had the latest, obnoxious encounter with a door-to-door salesman. Everyone who knows me knows that I am not social. I'm not apt to like people in general.
If you were going to sell a product, would you take a tatooed, pierced pair of freaks to do the job? This bunch works in pairs. As soon as I opened the door, I told them that I had seen it before and wasn't interested. As I started to close the door, the grungiest of the two slaps his filthy rag on the door and begins to clean- all the while babbling about all the harsh chemicals that I'm killing my little kids with, how his sister was a mother at 13, etc. I wish I could remember exactly what he said. Even after I told him no over and over again, he kept running from spot to spot trying to convince me that he could remove any stain. All the while the kids are escaping from the open front door. He went to the car and tried to open the door, but we keep it locked. He asked me if I had the keys...well duh! I told him yes but I didn't have any stains in there (lie). He asked if we had stubborn laundry stains. Nope (lie). He asked if we ever get mold in the house. Nope. I was not about to let him in. Freak 2 just stayed in the background. Every other sentence like clockwork he asked if I was going to get one bottle or two. None...I don't need your cleaner! I have gallons of cleaner! I don't even like to clean! Finally after I was fed up with him asking me "Doesn't that look great?!" I responded, "Sure, but I just don't care."
"You don't want to have this oxidation off of your head lights so you can see better?"
"Nope, don't care."
"What about this stain in the driveway?"
"Not even a little."
"What about fingerprints on the car window?"
"Pointless."
He glared at me for just a moment before saying one more time "Can I get you one bottle or two?"
"You mean ten gallons of milk or twenty...$40 for cleaner? I already said no. I have everything I need for cleaning."
He took back the brochure that was on the ground because I refused to take it in the first place. And told me thanks for nothing.....you're very welcome.
If he would have taken no for an answer in the beginning, we would both have 10 minutes of our lives back. Normally I am really polite, even to salesmen, but when he refused to listen, he asked for it.
I said no!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HMMM...door to door sales people! They come in various disguises, but what amazes me most is their affinity to telemarketers! They just won't take no for an answer.
JOOM :)

Connie said...

That was really funny. I can hear the whole conversation in my head, your voice inflections and facial expressions too, but I would have liked have been a fly on the wall watching the whole thing go down anyway. Way to stand your ground! Just say NO to cleaning!