Thursday, February 12, 2009

37 pages of work...

Here's a little song I wrote. Think 99 bottles of beer on the wall...
37 pages of homework in the backpack,
37 pages of work...
Take Aaron down,
smack him around,
37 pages of work getting done.

This is the insanity of a mother. So this morning Aaron was complaining of terrible stomach pain. Too bad for my poor kids that I was studying to be a doctor and they can't get away with that Ferris Bueller nonsense. Tod and I exchange knowing looks because we've ridden this bus with Aaron before. Next step, check the backpack for causes of the stomach ache. I start pulling the papers out...checked work in one pile, blanks in another. 1, 2, 3, 4,...37! Okay, this is bad, even for Aaron. We are having a rough year with him. Since he turned 11 it would appear that he has gone brain dead. Suddenly the desire to succeed has been replaced by a complete void. Where pride and responsibility used to reside, laziness is squatting. We painted for him the picture of his future...
"Aaron, picture yourself in your own apartment. You live alone, not because you finally got to get away from your parents, but because we didn't want you alone in our house while we were away on our mission. You are sitting in your underwear because you were too lazy to do your laundry and no woman would consider marrying a man who scrubs bumpers at the car wash. You reach down to scare the cockroaches off your last box of cereal because you still want to eat it and you won't get any more money on your Lonestar Card till next week. How does that sound?"
He sat down at the table and didn't get up till every page was done, at 2:00. Oh, and he won't complain about his stomach anymore because he got a big glass of Metamucil.
Am I a bad mother? If I knew how to cure him I would do it.

6 comments:

Danielle said...

Is that how much school work had to be made up?

The Lindners said...

That's how much work there was in the backpack, but not sure how much he'll get credit for. I'm disgusted.

Megan said...

I cant help but laugh! I use to do that all the time! Look at me I'm fine!! :) And hey cockroach's are a good source of protein!

Judy said...

Wow...way to stick to your guns Mommy! Love those fake illnesses. Laren hasn't been able to get away with that this year....she doesn't want mom or dad to go to jail. We have problems with Laren not caring about her work...just wants to get it done fast....KIDS!

Connie said...

You go girl! I love to hear a good discipline story.

Adriane said...

Way to go! 37 pages, wow! kevin is getting into the same problem. His is all organizational, though. He won't be in GEM next year because he was too unorganzed with his homework and some (a lot) didn't end up turned in (or done). I have a headache. . . !