Thursday, May 8, 2008

On my nerves

For the last four years I have struggled with a shooting pain in my face. None of my doctors have been able to provide me with relief or even a real diagnosis. I finally broke down and saw a neurologist this past Monday. It was a shocking and yet relieving experience- Like putting a face to the enemy's name. So in my case, the enemy is called Trigeminal Neuralgia. It is uncommon for people under the age of 50, but then again, I'm an uncommon sort of girl- right? I have the exciting opportunity to support the pharmaceutical industry by taking maintenance meds for the rest of my life. It's either that or cranial surgery! I think I know what my first choice is.
Well the point of this particular entry isn't to throw myself a pity party, I was doing some reflecting driving back from this doctor's visit. The thing about chronic pain is, it can make you feel little hopeless. I don't really remember what "normal" is anymore. Without hope, what purpose does my life have? But the great thing about my life is that I'm blessed to have the whole picture. I know that this life is beautiful and painful, but it is also short. My pain is only a blink of an eye. I can look forward to the resurrection and a fully healed body- and I'm hoping for a great figure to go with it- a girl can hope right? But I hope that I can not just endure to the end, but live life in a way that I can be proud of- to leave the world better than I entered it. And then, I will really feel good!

No comments: