Sunday, November 16, 2008

A reason to celebrate




So we woke up this morning hoping for the best. I am prepared to begin the Church marathon, just like any other week but my throat is finally sore and the "crud" in my head has reached critical mass. I say "finally" because the little girls have been this way for days and I know my close proximity to them means that my turn is coming. Tod wakes up and we compare notes- he's sick too- today is a sick day (We refuse to infect the entire ward).
Unfortunately this isn't just any day, it's Anna's birthday.
Anna is the last child in our family to celebrate her birthday in the calendar year, so it has been a long time coming for her. She had two simple gift requests- probably because she knows that they always get two gifts- she asked for a tea set and a Barbie head (you know, a bust of Barbie for practising your knot tying ;)) So I did my motherly job and delivered. I also failed to deliver. Wrong tea set, but the Barbie head was acceptable. This is Anna, you know. She is actually turning 45 this year, but someone failed to inform the rest of the world. I had been feeling bad all week that she wasn't having a party since it was on a Sunday, so I had planned a family tea party. We had tiny sandwiches and cookies, and apple juice for our "tea". I even let them use the teacups from my china. The boys even helped with the preparations. It was a smashing success! She kept telling me over and over again- "Thank you for a wonderful birthday!" this is an amazing compliment coming from Anna!

Chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and grated chocolate on top were tonight's finale. So now I'm in my recliner, head, back and throat aching. The special day is over and it was exactly what she hoped for- thank goodness. Some things must be suffered through in order to be enjoyed. Secretly, I think even the boys are hoping for a birthday tea party...nah.



3 comments:

Gillian said...

Ahhhh...the simple pleasures of a five-year-old.....tea parties and chocolate cake. When will I ever learn??? And who doesn't want a giant Barbie head?
Such an awesome mom---there are no sick days when there's a birthday girl in house.

Mel said...

Happy Birthday. I love the tea party!

Anonymous said...

When did Anna"s hair turn brown. What a surprise. I bet the tea party was fun for all. Hope you get that tea set figured out> Mom